Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Our Comfort Comes From the Lord

When we go through traumatic times, it is always for God’s purpose. During those times of suffering, loss, heartbreak, heartache, etc., Almighty God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, gives us as Christian people, this promise: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28.

Why do we have to go through these things?
We are afflicted and troubled when we are being tried and tested. 

Psalm 66:10-12 – “10 For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.
11 Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins.
12 Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.”

Job 23:10-12 – “But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.
12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.”

We are afflicted and troubled when God is perfecting us to be like His Son. 

Romans 8:29: “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”

We are to be like Jesus! He was, and is, our example, as Peter says:
I Peter 2:21: “21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”

When we are brought to the place where we are on the right track of God’s will for our lives, He will heal us and comfort us!
Psalm 103:1-5: “Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.”

We see that after we repent and are forgiven, the healing and restoration is started.

Comfort

Comfort comes also.

II Corinthians 1:3-5: “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.”

Also, Isaiah 40:1-2 – “Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins.”

Job 42:11 – “Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.”

After we suffer:


Psalm 71:20 – 21 – “20 Thou, which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
21 Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.”

Psalm 94:19 – “ In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.”

Psalm 119:50, 52, & 76 – “50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
52 I remembered thy judgments of old, O Lord; and have comforted myself.
76 Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant.

Isaiah 49:13 – “Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.”

Isaiah 52:9 – “Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the Lord hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.”

Isaiah 61:1-2 – “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;”

Isaiah 66:13 – “As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”

New Testament – Comfort


Matthew 5:4 – “Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.”
 
The Holy Ghost as our Comforter

John 14:16 – “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;”

John 15:26 – “But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:”

All truth
John 16:13 – “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”

The Word our Comforter


Romans 15:4 – “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”

Conclusion


II Corinthians 13:11 – “Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.”

Psalm 23 – “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.”





No comments:

Post a Comment